Sunday, January 25, 2009

First post

Hi everyone, first post here, after Matt asked me to contribute...

First a few things to know about me: I am Rochester native and work as a computer tech for a small computer firm here in town. I have been into tv for close to 10 years. 3 years ago I got "into" hdtv and free OTA digital tv broadcasts around the area and that has to lead to even more interest in the entire tv system, from "nerdy" tech specs on the towers, to the ratings system, and of course, not forgetting actually watching LOTs of tv in my free time....You also will hear a lot about Internet/computing issues for the Rochester/Austin area from me in the coming weeks....

Now to a little "tv romantic" story from the past 24 hours....

I was coming home last night from Adams, MN after spending the day with family and was caught on the road late at night around midnight as I was driving back... The beautiful view in the clear sky and the visibility being probably the best that I have experienced in my lifetime, prompted me to get lost in OTA tv thought.... As I was driving North on Country Road 7 towards Elkton, MN, my rearview mirror was lit up by the safety lights on the KIMT/KYIN shared digital tower just south of the Minnesota/Iowa state line... This tower was constructed to get better coverage in the Rochester metro of the digital signals that are broadcast for the local market. Going back two years, the tower did not exist and Rochester had no good digital coverage of stations KIMT (CBS) KYIN (IPTV PBS) or KAAL (ABC) All of the three had no coverage in the Rochester area, leaving many such as myself, without CBS/ABC programing OTA.. Charter carried Twin Cities stations KSTP (ABC) and WCCO (CBS) to complete their line up with complete network coverage.. Most OTA the viewers were vastly without options for CBS/ABC programing, such as myself. The stations were originally planning a "super" tower, supposed they had obtained a Construction Permit from the FCC that allowed a structure to be built to the height of 3000ft! Well, as they were trying to hammer out a deal, we in Rochester went without the before mentioned stations for years, Finally KYIN/KIMT came to a deal and had a 1500ft tower constructed and promptly had antennas/transmitters installed and KIMT got on the air with full power digital. It was a great day in Rochester when in the process of testing out the new equipment, KIMT ran a football game Sunday at full power... KAAL later decided to "beef" up their tower and install their pre-transition digital antenna at the analog channel 6 tower site to West side of Austin..
As I drove home, I had Line Of Sight (LOS) to many of the areas broadcasting locations. I passed the KYBA-FM tower, made out the KSMQ/KTTC/KXLT digital tower clearly at 10miles, as well as the KSMQ analog tower in Austin in the far distance at almost 22 miles out... (not to mention, the bright clear sky, the stars and space sights that were clear to be seen)
I was reminded of all the programming we once missed during these years, Rochester at last, you see, has great coverage of all the major networks, as well as MyNetwork TV, and The CW With promises of RTN coming online sometime around the analog shutdown. In Rochester, we fight tough terrain which in most cases requires outdoor antennas, it is good to remember, that it was even worse without anything to pick up just a few years back.. As well, as the fact, that many in the area, wonder why downtown, KROC/KYBA FM radio loose quality, just remember the distances the signals are traveling, to grace our eyes and hears...

Those of us contributing to this blog, will try to keep up good current info on the digital communicating aspect of Rochester and surrounding areas, from TV to Internet to radio:-)

No comments: